Friday, February 8, 2008

So it's McCain.

The next few weeks are going to be very important in McCain's rhetoric. If he plans to win the right-leaning Democrats and the center, he is going to have to find a social and domestic agenda strong enough to counteract his position on Iraq. It's amazing to me that we are even still talking about Iraq as a sustainable war, but it is also clear that the right is not going to change that position. I am concerned that if any other parts of the Middle East become unstable to the point where we feel threatened it will spread our troops so thin that the draft will be back on the table as a solution. I don't think it's beyond any of the candidates on either side to take that action, but I think McCain would do so with the least provocation.

As for the other issues, the ones that the Iraq war have continuously distracted us from, I don't even know what McCain has to say on them. It seems to me that if he is going to support the continuation of war and deem himself a conservative at the same time, he is going to have to engage in major budget changes that will destroy some of the social programs that liberals hold dear. All I know is that the spending has to stop or we are going to be undone before my generation even fully takes over. We will have no money left to throw at our domestic needs and will be quick to resort to patchwork solutions while borrowing from the world with no intention of paying up.

class time.

No comments: