Monday, February 11, 2008

A Prayer for My Generation

Sunsets past my windowsill are racing
Pausing not for reason nor consent
Captive in the camps of time I’m pacing
To and fro on floors I must invent

That which I cannot explain is rising
Mounting on itself around my feet
Wakened is the age of compromising
Harken to the demagogue’s retreat!

Slowly are the mirrored clouds unfolding
My empyrean a solid shell
Heaven do I search for in beholding
Images wrought only of myself.

Fear of darkness is the inspiration
On the prowl within my sanity
Equally I fear illumination
Blinded by deciding not to see

Solving and dissolving is my fashion
Stabbing at elusive synthesis
Howling from the gallery in passion
Selfish in pursuit of selflessness.

I direct my prayer to nameless specters
Hoping not that they will answer me
Silence is my life-sustaining nectar
Solace rests in my uncertainty.

I want not to know what governs essence
Mystery to me is purity
Earth wants only earthly acquiescence
I am not divine nor want to be.

Pray I, then, into the shapeless moonlight,
Nought but sunlight from another day,
Anxious, as a player asks a playwright
For his motivation, this I pray:

May my mind be solely my dominion
Hard, impervious to gilded prose.
Suffer not the murder, rather pinion
To the floor the galvanizing crows.

May my body thrive in the evading
Of the war my spirit will not wage
With the voices of the rhetors fading
Leaving lecterns barren on the stage

May my soul in darkness be resilient
Asking nothing but for unity
Settle me upon a plane so brilliant
That my spirit needs not eyes to see.

No comments: