Sunday, April 1, 2007

We can think with two heads

I'd really like to hear recordings or watch videos of me singing karaoke when I'm drunk. I want to know if my sense of pitch and timing actually improves as much as I feel like it does.

My voice is back! And by that I mean that the 5-6 full notes that I had lost off of my full-voice high range have returned heartily and have brought with them about 4 notes of head voice that I am not used to having. With all the driving I do (to work, from work, to Raleigh, from Raleigh, to 503C N. Greensboro St and from 503C N. Greensboro St), it's no wonder my range is improving. I sing in the car. I mean I really really sing in the car. It's not good for my voice because it's difficult to achieve full breath support in a seated position, but that hasn't stopped me. I have gotten to the point where I really don't care about people watching me from other cars. In fact, sometimes I make eye contact with them while I am singing. This freaks them out a little and they turn away. Whatever. They all do it too, just not as conspicuously.

Is it just me, or are there a lot of cute girls coming out of the woodwork? I've met some pretty awesome ladies in the last few weeks. Thanks ladies, for being cute and awesome.


Ok, here's the issue I want to address today: at what point does a man expressing physical attraction for women (not a woman, mind you, but women in general) take the jump from playful to disrespectful?

The reason I pose this question: I work in a restaurant. A lot of pretty girls come into this restaurant to eat, and the male waiters tend to talk very openly about girls they find attractive. I am very careful not to turn the conversations dirty every time, and in fact I rarely am the catalyst of dirty conversations. I usually say something like "The girl at table 12 is cute." The word "cute" can be replaced by other words (pretty, gorgeous, smokin, bangin, etc.) showing the degree of my personal attraction to the girl in question. I personally don't think that any of these words imply any kind of disrespect for that girl. As a waiter I am not in a position to converse with every good looking girl that comes into the building, and thusly I cannot be blamed for basing my attractions entirely on looks.

All of this seems fairly obvious to me. Yet I am still chastised by some female members of the staff for being so shallow. These girls seem to think that I am incapable of seeing past looks when it comes to relationships and that I am therefore some sort of horny pig. The way I see it, judging coworkers on their behavior at work, especially at a job like waiting tables, is in itself very shallow. But beyond that, I think men are entitled to a little bit of banter about the opposite sex without being assumed to be womanizers. Being attracted to a girl physically does not speak to my willingness to pursue that girl any more than not finding a girl physically attractive speaks to my unwillingness to pursue her.

I am not ignoring, however, the double standard that plagues women in this society, especially in these situations. I may be in the minority when I say that it would take a lot more than a girl telling me what guys she's attracted to in the restaurant for me to think that she's some sort of sex addict. I guess what I'm really saying is that the ability of a man to be sensitive and respectful and the ability of a man to be lustful are not mutually exclusive. As with most such issues, the majority of men are somewhere in the middle. It's not fair to assume that each man is on one extreme or the other.

If any girls are reading this, I'd love to hear some feedback. (and I'd love to have your phone number too. We could have some chicken, maybe some sex...you know...see what happens.)

No comments: